The Sale of JEA has been discussed and debated for years. It is (was) highly political. Finally, a pro-sale Mayor was elected and now bids are received for the multi-billion dollar deal. Here’s the article.
Some have advocated (successfully, so far) to sell JEA’s assets because 1) the market value of JEA’s infrastructure is at a peak; 2) changing customer demands for cleaner, more sustainable sources of generation are challenging; and 3) the cost of JEA’s share of nuclear generation from Plant Vogtle is very high. Here’s more info on that.
But who would buy JEA?
Possible new owners include:
- NextEra (FP&L) even though they have just acquired Gulf Power
- Duke Energy in the midst of large capital program
- Southern Company trying to complete Plant Vogtle Units 3&4 (nuclear)
- Dominion even though they have acquired SCANA and have offered to run Santee Cooper
- And the wild card….the Florida coops lead by some of the largest distribution coops in the country and Seminole Electric Cooperative. https://lnkd.in/eDNbpM9